"Think Like A Man" #1 At Box Office, Wins With $33M In Ticket Sales
The Screen Gems film Think Like a Man may become the "sleeper" hit of the season as the movie is overperforming at the box office and won the weekend with a $33M take! Get the deets inside......
Starring Michael Ealy, Jerry Ferrara, Meagan Good, Regina Hall and Kevin Hart, the Will Packer-directed film Think Like a Man has movie execs gagging about its money-making weekend.
The flick was made on a budget of $12-13M and went on to make nearly $33M this weekend (estimated to only rake in $20 mill). And though the marketing may have focused on women (in most cases) the film is also crossing gender lines with many men reportedly turning out to see the film.
One Sony exec said, "The movie had a negative cost between $12M-$13M so we’re thrilled. “Any weekend where you make back the negative cost in the first weekend is a good weekend in our books.”
Not to mention, the film is only playing in 2,017 locations, much less than other minstream movies on the ticker.
Will Packer tweeted, #ThatWonderfulMoment When you try to buy tickets to the Sunday night show of your own movie and it's sold out! #Thinklikeaman
Meanwhile, Kevin Hart tweeted, #ThinkLikeAMan will be #1 in the Box Office this weekend because of you guys!!!! We did 33million this weekend people, this is INSANE
Bigger picture: This is good news for Black actors and actresses as Hollywood is definitely watching. Congrats!
Here's how the weekend turned out:
1. Think Like A Man (Screen Gems/Sony) NEW [2,015 Theaters] PG13
Friday $12.2M, Saturday $13.2M, Weekend $33.3M
2. The Lucky One (Warner Bros) NEW [3,155 Theaters] PG13
Friday $9.1M, Saturday $8.5M, Weekend $22.8M
3. The Hunger Games (Lionsgate) Week 5 [3,752 Theaters] PG13
Friday $4.0M, Saturday $6.5M, Weekend $14.5M, Cume $356.9M
4. Chimpanzee (DisneyNature) NEW [1,563 Theaters] G
Friday $3.5M, Saturday $3.7M, Weekend $10.2M
5. The Three Stooges (Fox) Week 2 [3,482 Theater] PG
Friday $2.3M, Saturday $4.3M, Weekend $9.2M (-46%), Cume $29.3M
6. The Cabin In The Woods (Lionsgate) Week 2 [2,811 Theaters] R
Friday $2.4M, Saturday $3.3M, Weekend $7.7M (-47%), Cume $26.9M
7. American Reunion (Universal) Week 3 [3,033 Theaters] R
Friday $1.7M, Saturday $2.4M, Weekend $5.2M, Cume $48.2M
8. Titanic 3D (Paramount/Fox) Week 3 [2,515 Theaters] PG13
Friday $1.4M, Saturday $2.1M, Weekend $5.0M, Cume $52.8M
9. 21 Jump Street (Sony) Week 6 [2,427 Theaters] R
Friday $1.3M, Saturday $2.1M, Weekend $4.6M, Cume $127.0M
10. Mirror Mirror (Relativity) Week 4 [2,938 Theaters] PG
Friday $1.0M, Saturday $1.8M, Weekend $4.1M, Cume $55.2M