Celebrity Gossip Never Looked So Good ®
YBF on Twitter YBF on Facebook YBF on Instagram Feed

Chicago Police Release Jussie Smollett's Criminal Case Files! 'Empire' Star Called Osundairo Brothers 'Black As Sin', Texted For Drugs, Police Told NOT To Investigate

 photo jussiecase1.png

The files Jussie Smollett tried to keep under wraps have been released and we've learned quite a few new things about his criminal case. Get it all inside...

Jussie Smollett tried his damnedest to keep the case files in his criminal case sealed. However, a Cook County judge didn't feel like his actions warranted to have the files sealed, so, he ordered the file to be released. And here we are.

Cook County Judge Steven Watkins said the former "Empire" star didn't have a right to privacy in the case since he and his lawyers were so vocal about the case in the media.

"These are not the actions of a person seeking to maintain his privacy or simply be let alone," he said in his order, referring to Smollett's lawyers media tour after the charges were dropped.

 

 

Judge Watkins noted there were good arguments in favor of keeping the file sealed, however, Jussie forfeited his right to privacy by speaking to the media before and after the charges against him were dropped. As you know, the 36-year-old actor was hit with 16 felony counts of lying to police after he filed a police report saying he had been the victim of a racist, homophobic attack in January. He was booked and released on a $10,000 bond in April.

All 470 pages of the criminal case were released and here's what we've learned:

According to the report (obtained by The Daily Mail), Jussie changed his story throughout the investigation, first telling police his attackers were white. He then said they were "pale" and admitted he assumed they were white because of what he claimed they yelled at him: "This is MAGA country." He said the attacker had "pale" skin, which he could see behind the mask he was wearing - around the eyes.

 photo jussiecase3.png

After brothers Abel and Ola Osundairo (above) were arrested in connection to the attack, Jussie appeared shocked and explained to police why the brothers couldn't have been his attackers, saying "It can't be them, they'e black as sin."

He said he and the brothers were friends and had no problems. He originally agreed to press charges against them, but was reportedly stopped by his lawyer.

It has been revealed that Jussie sent several text messages to the Nigerian brothers asking for drugs months before the alleged attack. He exchanged several text messages with Abel Osundairo about getting "molly," "pills," and "Whitney," which was a code name for cocaine.

 photo jussiecase2.png

It's reported several line-ups were put together, but Jussie's lawyer did not let him do any. It's unclear if Jussie ever viewed a line up that included the brothers since the case files were so largely redacted.

Some of the files still remain a secret, including exactly what the brothers said in their interviews, which the police department expects to release next week.

Immediately after the attack, Jussie changed his phone number. In earlier interviews, he told police he had only spoken to his manager and creative director on the night of the attack, but records show she spoke with Abel and Ola Osundairo in the hours and days after the January 29 incident.

Weeks before the 16 charges were dropped against Jussie, the Chicago Police Department was reportedly told by Cook County prosecutors to end the criminal investigation into the alleged hate crime, the newly released documents show. They were told a deal was in the works.

NBC News reports:

In the documents released Thursday, detectives note the Chicago Police Department was informed by the Cook County State's Attorney's office on Feb. 28 that they could no longer investigate the crime. Smollett was indicted on March 7. The lead investigators in the case met with Assistant State's Attorney Risa Lanier, who informed detectives "that she felt the case would be settled with Smollett paying the city of Chicago $10,000 in restitution and doing community service."

“Detectives were not aware that the case was going to be handled in the manner that it was," Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. "If you go on to read the report, the detective writes that the case will be closed through arrest and prosecution.”

The detectives closed the case at that point because an arrest was made and the alleged offender was being prosecuted, according to Guglielmi.

Interesting.

The City of Chicago is suing Jussie Smollett for $130,000 to cover the costs of the investigation.

 

 

Photo: Getty

Categories:

Comments

WANT YOUR OWN AVATAR? GET IT HERE.

Log in to post a new comment

Log in to post a new comment

register
Sign in with Facebook