Celebrity Gossip Never Looked So Good ®
YBF on Twitter YBF on Facebook YBF on Instagram Feed

Multiple Lawsuits Filed Against Travis Scott, Drake, Live Nation, NRG Stadium Over Attendees' Safety At Fatal Astroworld Fest

​ ​ ​ ​

 

The lawsuits are filing in, just as expected, after the mass casualty event at Travis Scott's Astroworld Festival Friday night. The details on attendees are seeking to hold liable and the millions they're demanding, inside.

 

Once Travis hit the stage during Friday's catastrophic music festival, and especially when he and special guest Drake went into "Sicko Mode," pure & tragic chaos had taken over much of the crowd that was over 50,000 strong. 

 

 

With the harrowing first-hand accounts of people fighting for their lives under hordes of people pushing their way to the stage and people going into cardiac arrest and dying right in front of their friends' eyes, it's no surprise the lawsuits would come fast and furiously.

Last night, Texas personal injury attorney Thomas J. Henry filed a sweeping lawsuit against rapper Travis Scott as well as Aubrey Drake Graham, Live Nation and NRG Stadium in connection with a tragic event at the Astroworld music festival that left eight people dead and dozens of others hospitalized.

The lawsuit was filed on behalf of one of the victims whose legal reps are now actively investigating what they call "the failings at Astroworld".

Henry's law office says:

"Reports indicate a crowd surged the stage of the Travis Scott concert when rapper Drake made an unannounced appearance on stage. The surge soon resulted in chaos as concert-goers were pushed into one another and the crowd pressed its way forward. Travis Scott and Drake continued to perform even as emergency vehicles arrived and responders attempted to rescue those in distress.

By the time Live Nation finally decided to end the performance, 23 people required hospitalization, 11 were in cardiac arrest, and more than 300 had to be treated at a "field hospital" on site. So far, eight people have died of their injuries."

"Live musical performances are meant to inspire catharsis, not tragedy," said Texas attorney Thomas J. Henry. "Many of these concert-goers were looking forward to this event for months, and they deserved a safe environment in which to have fun and enjoy the evening. Instead, their night was one of fear, injury, and death."

Henry said he also believes a message needs to be sent to performers, venues, and event organizers that a lackadaisical approach to event preparation and attendees safety is no longer acceptable:

"There is no excuse for the events that unfolded at NRG stadium on Friday night.  There is every indication that the performers, organizers, and venue were not only aware of the hectic crowd but also that injuries and potential deaths may have occurred. Still, they decided to put profits over their attendees and allowed the deadly show to go on."

And that's not the only suit being filed.

TMZ says Travis, Drake and Live Nation are named in a suit brought by concert goer, Kristian Paredes, and she's claiming negligence. 

She says that Travis' concert history should've been at the forefront of everyone's mind who helped plan and execute Astroworld this year. In their doc, obtained by TMZ, they claim Travis and Drake helped incite the crowd that night, suggesting they either were aware or should've been aware of the reaction the crowd would have and did have once they both took the stage ... which they claim ended up causing a massive surge they say injured them.

 

The plaintiff also claims the folks who organized the event's security and logistics -- including Travis himself, who Paredes says was in charge of the whole thing -- did a poor job of planning and keeping everyone safe.

 

She's seeking millions in damages.

While it's unclear exactly which damages were done to him per se, another concert goer, Manuel Souza, filed suit in Harris County Court on Saturday:

 

 

In his docs, obtained by Billboard, Souza says the tragedy was "predictable and preventable" -- due, in part, to what he characterizes as warning signs earlier in the day that he says should've been red flags to festival organizers ... but were allegedly ignored.

Souza describes how people first stampeded their way into NRG Park when things were first opening up ... with folks allegedly climbing over security gates and trampling over one another. Despite this, Souza claims nothing was done to further address or curtail things.

He goes on to allege that concert organizers made a conscious effort to let the show go on, despite clear evidence all around them that people were in serious distress ... and suffering "serious obvious injury." Souza believes they purposely chose this route, claiming they were well aware of the rising risk that was escalating by the minute during the night.

 

 

Fans have been pointing out how Travis seemingly broke many of his own rules posted on the Festivals' website:

Survivors of the fatal concert - with an over 50,000-person crowd -  have been giving their terrifying first-hand accounts of fighting for their lives, screaming for help and watching lifeless bodies be passed around, all while the music raged on.

Travis' babies' mother Kylie Jenner made a statement - unnecessarily - claiming neither she nor him knew the gravity of the situation. But people called her out for posting video of the ambulances in the crowd (which she has now deleted):

As for the city's part in this, it's interesting.

Aside from the reported horrible safety plans that they signed off on, the city can (and often does) shut down concerts for any reason DURING the concert. Whether it's over curfew or for safety. And it's in their best legal interest to do so.

According to the NY Times, concert organizers and Houston officials knew that the crowd at Travis Scott’s Astroworld Festival could be difficult to control. The city’s police chief said he visited the rapper in his trailer before the show to share his concerns. He says Travis is the one person who could have called this off.  He then went on to talk about the positive things he knew Travis had been doing for the city....
 

City officials commented at a presser that the concert ended early, but TMZ says headliner Travis' set "got underway at 9 PM sharp ... and went on for about an hour and 15 minutes, drastically different from Houston PD's timeline of just 40 minutes."

It's unclear if that was Travis' full set or if it did, indeed, end early as two different stories are being told: One says promoters agreed to end the set early, but Travis continued to the end anyway, and another says it ended early.

One concert goer gave a gruesome recount of what happened, and stated the concert indeed continued even after there was one confirmed death.

According to the Houston Chronicle, police and firefighters declared a “mass casualty” event at 9:38 p.m., 32 minutes after Scott’s set began, when crowd surges reportedly started. The paper claims that promoters agreed to find a way to cut the concert short soon after the 9:38 “casualty” report, but that the show continued until Scott ran through his planned setlist and finished as scheduled at 10:15 p.m.

TMZ reports:

The Chief, Troy Finner, said his team had been told by event organizers that Travis took the stage at 9:30 PM and wrapped at 10:10 PM, but people are disputing that ... claiming it went on for much longer, and that the danger was also present for much longer than just that window.

He also said, perhaps the reason things weren't wrapped earlier was because of fear of a riot breaking out among a young crowd ... which is interesting logic. Now, Finner did say they would look into the timing even further to pin down a more accurate sequence of events -- but based on this account we've been given, this madness lasted for quite a while.

 

Of course, neither one person nor one entity is to blame 100% for the tragic occurences, but that also does not absolve folks from having any liability at all. From producers to management teams to security to health officials to those who sign off on emergency plans to precedence set prior by a performer, it's all fair game for the discussion.  What people/entities knew or didn't know (not just about the deaths themselves) beforehand and during the concert can certainly come into play in these legal cases.

 

Travis - who has not posted anything addressing the tragedy on his Instagram timeline, but only posted temporary InstaStories with a statement and a video - has not yet commented on the lawsuits. Pics and videos are still up on Astroworld Fest's IG, but comments are turned off.

Travis has, though, revealed through his reps that he will be fully refunding all Astroworld Festival attendees who bought tickets, will be paying for the funerals of victims, and that he has pulled out of his Day N Vegas performance this upcoming Saturday.  Sources tell Variety that Travis is “too distraught to play”.

Photo: Getty

​ ​
Categories:
​ ​
​ ​ ​
​ ​

Comments

WANT YOUR OWN AVATAR? GET IT HERE.

Log in to post a new comment

Log in to post a new comment

register
Sign in with Facebook